Thing 12

I had fun taking the time to search for videos on YouTube. I searched with the thought of helping the teachers on my campus find useful videos. I first searched for book recommendations for third graders. I was hoping to find videos of children recommending books to other children. I knew that would be a long shot though, given parents' valid concerns for student privacy. However, what I did find was just as useful. I found a variety of book read-alouds. The link I am sharing is a read-aloud of The TRUE Story of the Three Little Pigs. I have read this book before and have used it as a comparison tool for students to compare different versions of fairy tales. I feel that a YouTube read-aloud would gain student interest a bit more than a teacher reading it aloud. I also searched for (and found) a variety of math videos. Some of my favorites were for 3rd grade geometry. Obviously, teachers have to be diligent to watch the entirety of any videos they plan to show students to make sure the content is appropriate. I have heard of tools that allow you to show YouTube videos without ads. Using a tool to remove ads is a good idea as I know a teacher who showed a YouTube video that was appropriate but the ad at the end was inappropriate. If teachers take the time to make sure everything is appropriate for student viewing, YouTube is a wonderful resource to add to a teacher's bag of technology tools.


Comments